Clark/Kjos Architects is relied upon as an expert in building, zoning, licensing, and fire/life safety code issues for healthcare design. We serve our clients’ needs in a variety of ways extending beyond the execution of our construction projects. This includes:
- We have assisted many clients in compliance with both physical surveys as well as Statement of Conditions plans.
- As a firm that specializes in health care projects, we consult on a weekly basis with Oregon and Washington’s Department of Health’s Facility Planning and Safety, which have reviewed hundreds of our projects.
- Our policy is to review each project in the Schematic Design phase to ensure interpretation.
Construction work around an operating healthcare facility poses potential health risks to its occupants.
- CKA understands the importance of a well-developed infection control risk assessment and has led many presentations on the Infection Control standards established by AIA Guidelines, Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) and the Oregon Department of Health Services (DHS).
- We incorporate infection control with our designs and monitor it throughout construction.
- CKA will often provide an educational presentation to the construction team on infection control procedures at the pre-construction meetings of our projects. It greatly improves project procedures when everyone is aware of potential risks.
General Code Consulting
In addition to code research, compliance and agency negotiation for all of our projects, CKA has completed over 20 code-consulting projects for our clients in the past 5 years. We are experts with code compliance issues for the following codes and standards:
- State building codes
- State medical facility design rules
- NFPA 101
- NFPA 99
- Guidelines for Design and Construction of Hospital and Healthcare Facilities